Saturday, September 02, 2006

...se7en...

I just finished watching this two-hour long movie about the seven deadly sins, which of course, according to Catholicism, are supposed to ensure your one-way ticket to hell. It left me with more questions than answers, and more “what the hell?” than “oh I see.” But in all, this really makes the brain cells work.

Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Lust, Pride, Envy and Wrath. They need not be in any significant order, but they definitely can be in conjunction with one or all of the others, a sort of a canonical Combo Meal. At one point or another in my life, I have had a brush with a few of these sins, and taking the doctrines, I have bought for myself several tickets to hell. Now, thinking this ticket can be refunded, I have second thoughts. I am wondering what I paid them with? And what kind of remuneration can I get as a refund? Like everything else in this world, this thought scares me.

Just like Kevin Spacey said, we tolerate these sins because they are so common. It happens right from under our noses and yet we do nothing. We take them as everyday occurrences, like norms or holidays. I am knee-deep in shit hoping that maybe, just maybe, the reason why we do these sins would come crashing into our laps, and not through our brains. I’ve been trying to understand for the longest time, that I am beginning to feel I just can live without ever knowing at all.

There is indeed a fine line between acceptance and surrender. And neither appeals to me right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a fine line between acceptance and surrender.... i agree.... where does quitting come in?.....

jet descallar said...

it's not even an option. one doesn't quit: one simply succumb to either acceptance or surrender. :)