Monday, October 30, 2006

...friendship 102...

I have, just as of this evening, come to a conclusion that friendship is an obligatory relationship much like love. As being the product of chemical reactions in one’s brain a commonality between love and friendship, so is the fact that to consummate friendship, one must enter a reciprocated state, one being described as a “two-way street”. Thus, it is further defined that one party is entitled to demand the same level of attention and affection as is given the other party.

Friendship should be in the highest form of mutual understanding, with the unwritten consent of both parties for equal manifestations of compassion, concern and commitment. I cannot be a friend to you unless you agree that you will be a friend to me. For as long as I find reason for you to be a friend to me, I cannot resign being a friend to you. This is one option friendship simply does not allow me to do. Thus I will continue to provide you with the services a friend gives, with all expectation that you will continue to do the same.

But with the way things are going on between us lately, I just might be forced to abandon this concept.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i beg to differ.... the mere mention of the word "friendship" evokes feelings of love and generosity. it is an emotion freely given - never obliged - to someone, without any conditions nor pre-requisites. it is never dependent on what the other party can give. or how much. but for a friendship to last or run deep, i agree with you about there being a certain degree of mutuality. and yes, much like love. for the two are not mutually exclusive, are they.